- 2 Honeycrisp Apples
- 1 Bag/Carton of pre-washed mixed spring or baby greens
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled, crispy bacon
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnut or pecans
- Your favorite homemade or store-bought vinaigrette dressing
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread walnuts or pecans on a baking sheet and toast at 350 for 8 minutes
- Slice your apples and toss in the lemon juice to avoid them turning brown
- Remove nuts from oven and allow them time to cool while you assemble your salad
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl, toss and serve
- Toss with your favorite dressing
Rather than using plain nuts, candy your nuts by tossing them in a combination of melted butter and brown sugar prior to roasting.
Use goat cheese instead of blue cheese
Add roasted chicken pieces to turn this into an entrée
This salad screams vinaigrette dressing. Don’t use Italian, ranch etc. just because it’s handy. I personally like raspberry vinaigrette with this.
Don’t substitute the Honeycrisp for another apple. Other, softer apples brown more quickly even with lemon juice and let’s face it, Honeycrisps are awesome.